A Guide to Changing Your Fable II Hero’s Alignment, by Angela Alvarez
You toss and turn during your sleep because your body feels restless, and your mind is racing. Your life is burdened with routine and no excitement, nothing new. You’re bombarded with choices everyday, but even though the situation is always different, your decision is always the same. You behave morally, or you act evil. Your choice of lifestyle has even left physical impressions on your body; everyday you wake to that same face, the one with the horns or the one with the big bright eyes and golden flowing hair.
Horns? Yes! Does your Fable II character crave change? Do you want to lose that extra belly fat, those horns, and that disgusting reputation as a whore? Or maybe you’re tired of going home to the same family and tofu dinners every night, getting up at the crack of dawn to slave away over a hot anvil, and avoiding the local pubs. If you’re lost and you feel you need a change in your life, have no fear for there is a guide for you! With this guide* you’ll learn helpful tips to effectively changing your character’s alignment. So wake up, smell the Crunchy Chick. You CAN make a change.
*This guide also applies to those who want bigger horns, bright green eyes with evil, or more heavenly clearer skin with a golden-haired dog.
From a Corrupt Soul to a Model of Purity
The amount of change you need to make in your hero’s life depends on how far along you are on the Purity/Corruption meter. Here are some of life’s pleasures you’ll have to live without if you want to gain Purity points.
How to Lose Weight
1. Stop drinking all wines and beers, and hands off all the pies and meats. None except the very rare are good for you. All they do is put on the pounds* and lead to a gluttonous lifestyle. Instead, drink Well and Spring Water as an alternative, and eat as much celery as you can. Celery is very effective in shedding beer bellies, and Tofu is very helpful at gaining purity points.
*Note: If you eat tons of celery and never touch the harmful foods, and notice you’re still very big, check your physique level. The higher the level, the more naturally muscular and thicker your hero will be become. To lose your physique, simply discard your levels but remember, your hero will become weaker.
How to Gain Respect from Townspeople
2. Eating healthy foods is a great start, but they won’t make much difference unless you make more crucial changes in the way you behave as a businessperson. If you own lots of property and it’s all rented out, adjust the prices of shops and the rent for homes at least -20%. No one has respect for a slumlord. And if you currently have a huge wallet, buy out towns and keep the rent rates low. That way, large groups of people will appreciate you. The best place to start is the Gypsy Camp in Bower Lake.
How to Treat Your Body Like a Temple
3. Have a healthy sexual lifestyle. If you want to marry, marry only once and treat your spouse with love and respect. Move them into a lovely home (my personal favorite is Serenity Farm), decorate it nicely and make sure you shower her with intimate gifts. Give her a hefty daily allowance, and if you have children, make sure they are happy as well.
Or, if you find it entertaining to have multiple spouses, keep them on opposite sides of the map. Bigamy earns you achievement points, not purity points.
On the other hand, if you don’t want to marry and you fancy a quick romp with a prostitute or villager, make sure the relations are protected. Stock up on condoms at almost any General Goods shop and you’ll treat your body like the temple it is!
How to Stop Being Lazy
4. Stop sleeping so much. Sleep is a very easy to way to make time go by faster, but sleeping for days at a time can be harmful. Keep busy, do sidequests (ones that help the good people), or take up a shift or two at the local Blacksmith shop. You’ll earn some extra gold for your pocket while working toward that pure lifestyle!
How to Avoid Five-Finger Discounts
5. Stop stealing! Everything can be bought and only the really interesting items can be found through quests. If you find that you’re always stealing because you have to pinch every penny, wait for sales. You will always be alerted when there’s a new sale because the dollar sign will appear at the lower left corner of your screen on the d-pad.
From Pretty and Pure to Unchaste and Unsightly
Really, going from pure to corrupt is much more fun rather than the process vice versa. The Seven Deadly Sins are your new friends!
How to Gain Weight
1. You’re probably used to relying on potions to replenish your health when it’s low, but food is a much cheaper and tastier alternative. If you think your hero could use a few more love handles then keep pies and meats handy. When your health is low, the food will appear on the d-pad so extra weight is just a press away! And after a hard day of slaying balverines, don’t you think you deserve a tall cold one at the local tavern? Stop by the pubs and ask the barman for beer and wine. It’s cool, it’s refreshing, it’ll make you a little sick but it’ll warm your soul.
How to Freak Out
2. You’ve got your adoring little spouse and darling little children, but you’ll need to slip away from them in the middle of the night to get your corruption rate, and your heart rate, up. Travel to Bloodstone as soon as you unlock it and enjoy the company of as many whores as you can. Leave no prostitute unturned, and if you don’t mind, enjoy the company of tarts the same gender as you. Bloodstone is not the only place to find prostitutes, but they run most rampant in that area. If you’re propositioned for sex by random villagers, give them the thumbs up and accept!
And leave the condoms at home. Your wife counts them when you’re not looking.
How to Be a Slumlord and Make Huge Profits
3. Once you have a decent amount of gold, purchase property, rent it out and jack up the adjusted percentage. Don’t think about whether or not your tenants can afford it. Sure, the villagers won’t take a liking to you, but perhaps they’ll change their minds once they see the money they give you for rent goes right back to their tavern.
Unless, you own the tavern. In that case it’s all good for you.
How to Be Rude, Crude and Lewd
4. Forget all the positive social and fun expressions. Any time you’re in a town, use rude and scary expressions on the villagers. If you don’t have that many, you can find books that will teach you some new ones. And your companion canine can get in on the fun – point and laugh at someone, and your dog will urinate on them.
You’ll also earn an achievement, The Menace to Society, for performing a lewd act in public. I got this achievement by stripping naked in the Temple of Light and and vulgar thrusting toward a monk. But be creative and do it your own way!
How to Not Take Shit
5. The more corrupt you become, the more villagers will insult you and your lifestyle. You can simply slap people for opening their mouths, or you can take your longsword to their necks! Beware though, guards will run up to you and order you to either pay up, do community service or fight for your life. Murder charges are worth 500 gold a piece. A small price to pay for keeping your pride.